This page outlines how to go about beginning homeschooling in New Zealand.
In New Zealand, homeschooling is perfectly legal, as long as you have applied for and received a Certificate of Exemption which allows you to keep your child home from school.
Here are the basic steps involved:
- Phone your local office of the Ministry of Education (look up in the blue Govt. section at the front of the phone book)
- Ask to be put through to the homeschooling unit
- Request that an “Exemption application” pack to be sent to you
- Follow the form guidelines and fill in the relevant application forms as per the guidelines. Send it back to the address they provide.
- If you haven’t given enough information, they will tell you what more they require.
- If you have any problems, or questions about how to apply, let us know and we can put you in touch with someone who can help.
If possible, we strongly suggest that you talk to as many people who are homeschooling as you can. This will give you an idea of some of the various philosophies that are around and also help you connect with local groups.
It is very important that you embark on homeschooling for proactive rather than reactive reasons. Homeschooling is hard work so you need to be committed but it is very rewarding, often with children achieving way above the level they would have at school. There are also benefits in terms of the academic rigour you can provide as well as the opportunity to for your child to socialise with others many different ages, rather than just his age group.
A very helpful resource is 'The NZ Homeschooler's Guide to Applying for an Exemption'. This booklet was written by Kay Christensen who is a veteran homeschooler.
Click here for further information.
There are a multitude of books and resources available and many of these have New Zealand suppliers.
Click here to find a list of NZ curriculum suppliers.
Click here to return to the home page
Contact us today to discuss your requirements.
Phone: 64 9 269 3532, Fax: 64 9 269 3530 , Mobile: (027) 479 000 2