EXCLUSIVE. LearnEx is proud to be the exclusive distributor of the AVKO Sequential Spelling programme in New Zealand.
2006 Version SPECIAL PRICE!
The AVKO spelling programme was written by a dyslexic for dyslexics and those who have had limited success with other spelling programmes. AVKO stands for Auditory, visual, kinaesthetic and oral.
Do not be deceived by the simplicity of the layout or the sheer number of words listed each day. The child doesn't have to memorise the words which is completely different to any other spelling programme we have seen. Words are dictated daily and corrected immediately. As this happens consistently and in logical sequence every day, they learn through writing of the words- no testing: Yay!!
Backed by the AVKO research foundation its aims are to:
* Determine what makes the learning of reading and spelling so difficult for some and so easy for others.
* Determine what it is about our language that good readers learn without being taught that poor readers don't.
* Determine whether or not that which poor readers don't learn is ever systematically taught and if it isn't, if it can be.
* Devise techniques and materials to enable teachers (or parents) to systematically teach poor readers and/or poor spellers that which schools presently are not teaching.
* Widely disseminate its discoveries of techniques and materials that enable dyslexics to learn to read and to spell
In the AVKO programme, words are sequenced vertically during a single lesson as in:
in pin sin spin kin skin win twin
Words are sequenced horizontally during a five day week as in:
Lesson 1 - pin; Lesson 2 - pins; Lesson 3 - pinned; Lesson 4 - pinnnig
Students correct their own spellings immediately after each word is given so they are more likely to remember them.
IN THIS LEVEL:
Some of the patterns learned in Sequential Spelling 6 include:
-ity, -um, -ow, -by, -ery, -or, -ty
Level: Depends on the child
Suitability: Suitable for home or school