With Individualized Spelling, you can create a completely tailored spelling program that uses the same techniques of Sequential Spelling but covers only the word families that need to be taught for your child. Administer the placement tests, discover the word families that have yet to be mastered, and then look up those word families in The Patterns of English Spelling (available as a free e-book if you become a member of AVKO). Then you just create your own Sequential Spelling tests. .
These survey tests - Lessons 1 - 265 - use the 5,507 most important words to learn. They are presented in exact statistical order of difficulty according to the study, The New Iowa Spelling Scale by the late Dr. Harry A. Greene, University of Iowa You can find the entire study in The Reading Teacher's List of Over 5,000 Basic Spelling Words.
- Level A: Lessons 1-25 cover the essential words, known by 93 - 99% of adults.
- Level B: Lessons 26-75 cover the essential words, known by 89 - 92% of adults.
- Level C: Lessons 76-125 cover important words, known by 75 - 88% of adults.
- Level D: Lessons 126-153 cover important words, known by 65-70% of adults.
- Level E: Lessons 154-177 cover important words, known by 59-71% of adults.
- Level F: Lessons 178-201 cover important words, known by 50-58% of adults.
- Level G: Lessons 202-225 cover important words, known by 33-49% of adults.
- Level H: Lessons 226-249 cover advanced words, known by 33-49% of adults.
- Level I: Lessons 250-265 cover advanced words, known by 5-32% of adults.
- Contains Survey Tests for Placement
- Contains directions for use with The Patterns of English Spelling and Word Families in Sentence Context.
- Every word is cross-referenced to The Patterns of English Spelling.
- Students study only the patterns they need to learn.
- For each pattern they master, they may learn from 10 - 100 different words. For example, if a student learns the
"-ection" pattern, he may be learning 72 different words from section to directional.